What is it ?Goozzee's goal is to offer an easy-to-use knowledge management solution, suitable for small teams or companies.
Unlike most existing knowledge management software, Goozzee's classification system isn't based on hierarchies or tags: it uses Topic Maps, which allow a much more advanced and flexible knowledge classification.
Goozzee is in fact a mix of the features of three kinds of applications:
- Topic Maps authoring/browsing tools: Goozzee offers a very easy-to-use Topic Maps implementation, with topics, associations, occurrences (aka documents), roles, association types and scopes.
- Wikis: Goozzee is NOT a wiki. But it fills the same need: fast and easy documentation creation, and easy links between pages.
In Goozzee, each topic can be compared to a Wiki page, where you can type your documentation and share it immediately with other users; the Topic window offers a real WYSIWYG text editor, so you don't even have to fight with some wiki syntax, and linking your topics together - or creating new ones - is a matter of a couple of seconds, using contextual menus or even drag'n drop.
- Document Management Systems: Goozzee's Document Management functionnality is - and will remain - pretty simple. Any kind of document can be uploaded into the repository : text files, spreadsheets, presentations, PDFs, images, videos, music, programs.. whatever. Each document is assigned a scope and access rights, and can be linked to any number of topics. A check-in/check-out system is also implemented to prevent editing conflicts between users.
But Goozzee doesn't offer any workflow engine. And it probably never will.
Goozzee is available in two versions :
- "Personal Edition" (PE) : this is the single-user edition. It installs very easily, and includes an embedded Mysql Database. The database datafiles are located in the goozzee.docs directory, on your hard drive.
- "Network Edition" (NE) : this is the multi-user version, with security features such as ownership, access right... It connects to a Mysql or Mariadb database server on which you'll have initialized a Goozzee schema.
- Multi platform : it runs on Windows, Mac and Linux
- Freeware open source
- Unix-like security on topics and documents : Read/Write access rights for User/Group/Others
- Locking system to prevent multiple users from updating the same data simultaneously
- per user preferences for windows layout, colors, language...
How does it work ?Unlike many Knowledge Management/Document Management systems, Goozzee isn't web-based, but client/server.
The repository is stored in a Mysql database. (In the future, support for other databases will be added.)
A client software must be installed on each user's machine. This software is written in C++, using the wxWidgets library, which allows easy ports to many operating systems. For now, you can download versions for Windows, Linux and Mac OSX.
Wanna help ?Goozzee is a one man hobby project. That's why it's evolving very slowly.
If you want to take part in it and boost things up, don't hesitate to mail me : michel dot laglasse at gmail dot com